Webinar EU Sanctions: Key Recent Developments and Practical Implications for Companies
Acquis EU Law & Policy will host a live webinar discussion “EU Sanctions: Key Recent Developments and Practical Implications for Companies”, that will take place on Wednesday, 14 April from 14.00 to 16.00 CEST.
In the last 12 months, the EU sanctions landscape saw a number of significant developments, including the launch of the EU’s Global Human Rights Sanctions regime and first designations under this new instrument, new designations under the EU’s Chemical Weapons Sanctions regime, as well as the new plan of actions, proposed by the European Commission in January 2021, aimed at improving the implementation and enforcement of EU sanctions and at increasing the EU’s resilience to the effects of extraterritorial application of sanctions by third countries (including US “secondary” sanctions). In addition, following the presidential elections and the change of the administration in the US, the question of sanctions against Iran and the future of the JCPOA (the” Iran Nuclear Deal”) has become very topical again.
These developments, as well as the growing and more assertive enforcement activity by the competent (sanctions) authorities of EU Member States, have to be taken into account by companies in their efforts to comply with sanctions regulations and protect their business from sanctions-related risks, while ensuring that legitimate business activities are not blocked due to over-compliance.
During the webinar, you will have the opportunity to hear fresh insights into these issues from officials of the European Commission and of the European External Action Service, who are directly involved in designing and implementing the EU’s sanctions policies and regulations, as well from legal practitioners with decades of experience in advising businesses in a broad range of sectors on sanctions compliance and other legal and regulatory aspects related to EU and international sanctions.
Please find below the agenda of the event and the registration details:
Webinar: “EU Sanctions: Key Recent Developments and Practical Implications for Companies”
Date and Time: 14 April 2021, 14.00 – 16.00 CEST.
Location: online event (ZOOM).
- Opening remarks (Mr Jeroen Jansen, Managing Partner, ACQUIS EU Law & Policy)
- Key developments in the field of EU sanctions in the last 12 Months: the EU Global Human Rights Sanctions Regime, EU Chemical Weapons Sanctions designations, the EU’s new strategy and institutional framework for sanctions enforcement and compliance (Ms Alina Nedea, Head of the Sanctions Unit, DG FISMA, European Commission);
- The European Commission Communication on European economic and financial system: fostering openness, strength and resilience – key sanctions-related proposals (Ms Alina Nedea, Head of the Sanctions Unit, DG FISMA, European Commission);
- Sanctions against Iran and the future of the JCPOA – what do you need to know if you are considering doing business with Iran? (EEAS official (tbc); Mr Valerijus Ostrovskis, Partner, ACQUIS EU Law & Policy);
- Internal trade compliance programmes: how to protect your business in the rapidly evolving sanctions landscape (Mr Valerijus Ostrovskis, Partner, ACQUIS EU Law & Policy);
- Closing remarks (Jeroen Jansen, Managing Partner, ACQUIS EU Law & Policy).
To register for the webinar, please send an email to: email@example.com, before Monday 12 April, 17.00 CEST.